List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Logout Dialog
From:       Andre Moreira Magalhaes <andrunko () yahoo ! com ! br>
Date:       2004-11-15 20:37:45

 --- zander@kde.org wrote:
Finally someone has some arguments.

> Does it have keyboard navigation?
> - left/right
> - tab
> - space
> - enter
yes all the functionality is there.

> The mnemonic (alt-something) is very much out of place for a hyperlink; only
> provide mnemonics on buttons please.
> And if you leave them away then naturally I will complain they don't have
> mnenonics :)
> underline under a text makes it less readable and is a very bad way to show
> focus.
disagree. look at the gnome/kde kdm themes buttons to see what i'm talking
about.

> using hyperlinks will probably break accessibility. (always use default
> widgeds)
why? can't this be fixed?

> Horizontal layout makes things less usable if the words get longer (and
> translations certainly will do that)
agree, but the translators can easily handle this, no?

> So will the person who claims otherwise please explain himself?  What is the
> basis of claiming horizontal layout is more usable.
i believe that using horizontal layout the items become bigger (vertically) so
it's easiest to click on them. IMO

> How will this look on a low-color (16 or 256) display?  Is it still usable?
> Will the default X settings allow the text to be readable?
not tested. good point

> Also remember there are people who can't read the text if its not black on
> white (or visa-versa).  Creating a new dialog must take these things into
> account.  If I set my colors to black/white; will this still render OK.
i think so

> Point is;  its very very hard to create something nice and keep it usable;
> using new widgets and not-default navigation (hyperlinks outside of context)
> does not help.
maybe, but i'm not sure

> Everyone here will agree that if its both usable _and_ nice looking it should
> go in;  but beware that that takes a lot more time and leearning then you
> might want to spent on it.
I want to spend as much time as it's needed to improved this dialog.

Andrunko