List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Logout Dialog
From:       Andre Moreira Magalhaes <andrunko () yahoo ! com ! br>
Date:       2004-11-15 20:26:31

 --- Celeste Paul <seele@obso1337.org> wrote:

> as plain and ugly (as you would say since there is no "eyecandy") as the
> current interface may be, its straightforward, logical and easy to use.
> logout or cancel.
>
> have you read through the kde or gnome hig at all?
no, but i will.

> the descriptions for the button actions are too long.  why was "turn off
> computer" used instead of "shutdown" or "restart computer" instead of
> "restart" and "end current session" used instead of "end session"?
Do you mean in my proposal?? The current dialog uses this text labels.

> the order of options should be reconsidered with the last option the safest
> or most reliable option. youve removed cancel from the flow of focus so "end
> session" would be more appropriate as the last option.  users create habits
> of auto-clicking options.  you dont want a user to accidently restart the
> computer if they only wanted to log out.
please tell me something usable. i can fix this in less than 1 second ;).

> what is the purpose of underlining the text when it is in focus?  it doesnt
> add anything to the interface.
Just to indicate that the icon has the focus. just as the QStyle::PE_FocusRect
do with buttons with focus.

> what would the interface look like if turn off computer or restart computer
> were not available to the user?  is that what snapshot1.png is?
snapshot1.png

> it seems like you used windowsxp as a model for this dialog.  keep in mind
> windows is not a good example of a usable and intuitive interface.
Camon, I hate windows, but i don't hate it because it's interface. As all
software in the world its interface is not the best and not even close, but of
sure that it has elements that are good and can be used. Don't say windows
interface is ugly just because it's a Microsoft product. Like it or no the
majority of desktop around the world use it, and must be a reason for so.

I believe that your problem is with Windows/Microsoft and not with my proposal.
If i had ripped off some MacOSX interface everything should be fine. What is
the point with you man?? Do you hate me that much? ;)

Andrunko