List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: [patch] Position of 'Close' on Konqueror Tabs
From:       Datschge <datschge () gmx ! de>
Date:       2004-10-05 20:59:39

On Tuesday 05 October 2004 17:06, zander@kde.org wrote:
> > As I wrote before the focus is on the menu strictly being a
> > context menu, and the context is a single tab, so it felt obvious
> > enough for me.
>
> One of the basic rules of usability [1] I wrote in the styleguide
> "navigable: The user should always be able to tell where he/she/it
> is."
>
> I feel that the open context menu has too little feedback on what
> it is about if the user does not have a clear memory of how he got
> there, which is bad usability.  (you would not believe how some
> users 'navigate' their way though a GUI).

Agreed, but in this particular case I rather see this as a 'bug' in
the style which should be fixed there, not in the context menu. E.g.
when you browse in a submenu the entry opening it in one menu up is
still selected, and imo the same should happen with tabs when opening
a context menu there, the tab should still look clicking/hovered. In
general I think there is a huge need to enforce a strict and
consistent use of 'hovered' and 'clicking' effect for all clickable
UI widgets within KDE, but I digress.

> So; please add the word 'tab' to all items (including reload) and
> commit.

I've added a respective second patch plus screenshot to my site [1]

> I can commit as well; if thats what you mean. Just that I don't
> have a working checkount of HEAD; so it would take a couple of
> days..

You or someone else please commit, I never bothered to ask for a CVS
account in the past, and currently I don't feel confident enough
about my c++ skills to ask for one. Thanks. =P

Cheers, Datschge

[1] http://datschge.gmxhome.de/patches/konq_tabs.html