List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: [patch] Position of 'Close' on Konqueror Tabs
From:       zander () kde ! org
Date:       2004-10-05 20:06:35

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Tue, Oct 05, 2004 at 09:29:24PM -0300, Datschge wrote:
> On Tuesday 05 October 2004 14:21, Aaron Seigo wrote:
> > On October 5, 2004 6:58, zander@kde.org wrote:
> > > On the usability side; I have doubt on the fact that 'tab' is
> > > never shown so its not immidiately obvious that 'new' and
> > > 'detach' are about tabs. Maybe the 'tab' extention should be
> > > readded..
> >
> > i would agree ...
> >
> > otherwise it look really good, feel free to commit once we've
> > settled on the "Tab" wording issue.
>
> Initially I left the wording as it used to be, that is 'new tab,
> duplicate tab, detach tab, close tab' and 'reload' (without tab).
> After some time this inconsistency irked me, and since renaming
> 'reload' to 'reload tab' would make every single entry in the list
> mention 'tab' which felt redundant to me I instead removed all of
> them.

My rule of thumb always is that if each item mentions a certain word
then a groupbox like thing is needed mentioning this word. So in concept
I agree.
Problem is; there is no option to group these items in any way; well
a) a submenu, but thats not really nice :}
b) a title, but I find that really out of place.

> As I wrote before the focus is on the menu strictly being a
> context menu, and the context is a single tab, so it felt obvious
> enough for me.

One of the basic rules of usability [1] I wrote in the styleguide
"navigable: The user should always be able to tell where he/she/it is."

I feel that the open context menu has too little feedback on what it
is about if the user does not have a clear memory of how he got there,
which is bad usability.  (you would not believe how some users 'navigate'
their way though a GUI).

So; please add the word 'tab' to all items (including reload) and commit.

> Nevertheless feel free to optimize the patch, the changes are really
> easily done. =)
I can commit as well; if thats what you mean. Just that I don't have
a working checkount of HEAD; so it would take a couple of days..

1) http://developer.kde.org/documentation/standards/kde/style/basics/usage.html
--
Thomas Zander