List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Remove Home icon from Desktop (was Mini usability study)
From:       illogic-al <obennett () hartford ! edu>
Date:       2004-10-01 15:03:37

On Friday 01 Oct 2004 01:24 am, Maurizio Colucci wrote:
> illogic-al wrote:
> >>1) The term home directory comes from the domain of computers. To
> >>understand it you need to know something about multiuser systems.
> >
> > Are you frigging kidding me? It's a SIXTY year OLD man. Who gives a shit
> > if he doesn't understand?
>
> Let me repeat: the 60-year-old user had no problem understanding the
> concept of home directory (which BTW was called "personal files" in
> italian). His problem was not to be able to find symbolic
> representations of his disks, and he complained the home dir is not enough.
Ok, I totally understand that. And my point was that and my point was that one
person, especially one non-representative-of-the-majority person, should not
be enough to dictate or even initiate any changes in a programs function/user
interface. My other point was that you called this a mini usability study
when, in fact, it was not. A study can not ever consisit of only one person.

You also failed to mention how long he was using the desktop for. Did he just
fire it up that one time and start complaining? Of course he would, it's
unfamiliar. Usability problems don't address things which are unfamiliar to
people using a product, they address problems of unintuitiveness. In other
words, does it make sense to be there or does it not.

Also he was not given a vanilla installation of KDE to play with, instead he
was given SuSE's. This irks me even more than the fact of this being called a
study as we can't (and shouldn't) be responsible for the patches which others
add.