List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Improving the file chooser dialog
From:       Leo Savernik <l.savernik () aon ! at>
Date:       2004-10-01 9:47:20

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Am Samstag, 25. September 2004 09:42 schrieb Maurizio Colucci:
> Hello,
>
> Sometimes a program (e.g. k3b in burn image mode) opens a file chooser
> dialog, but the file is already visible in a konqueror window, so it's
> annoying to find the file again in k3b's own file manager. Not to
> mention that some people may use another file manager.
>
> Is there any way around this problem? For example, does the file dialog
> allow dragging?

Certainly. I've just tried under KDE 3.3.0. Works perfectly.

> Or can I cut and paste the URL of the file (that's not
> ideal though)?

Yes, you can even do Ctrl+C on the file in konqueror and Ctrl+V in the line
input of the file dialog.

> We might even ask ourselves whether the file chooser dialog is a good
> idea at all: couldn't it be replaced with a simple "drag file here"
> widget?

That would force everybody to fire up konqueror, search for the file there,
and drag it. That's slower by magnitudes than the file picker.

> Or by some kind of file-list, so you can drag more than one file?

[...]

mfg
 Leo