List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Improving the file chooser dialog
From:       Maurizio Colucci <seguso.forever () tin ! it>
Date:       2004-09-25 7:42:52

Hello,

Sometimes a program (e.g. k3b in burn image mode) opens a file chooser
dialog, but the file is already visible in a konqueror window, so it's
annoying to find the file again in k3b's own file manager. Not to
mention that some people may use another file manager.

Is there any way around this problem? For example, does the file dialog
allow dragging? Or can I cut and paste the URL of the file (that's not
ideal though)?

We might even ask ourselves whether the file chooser dialog is a good
idea at all: couldn't it be replaced with a simple "drag file here"
widget? Or by some kind of file-list, so you can drag more than one file?

A more technical question: is there some way (e.g. a dcop call) to send
a file to any open file dialog of which I know the window id? This would
be _very_ useful to better integrate my file manager
(http://onefinger.sf.net) with KDE.

cheers!

Maurizio Colucci
http://onefinger.sf.net