List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Proposal for re-organizing konqueror's config dialogs
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2004-09-24 23:33:23

illogic-al wrote:
> I was reading the dot (gasp!) here
> http://dot.kde.org/1095726758/1095738025/1095754618/ and came across a post
> by  MandrakeUser.
> I figured it was a good idea and decided to go a little further with it.
> Ladies and Gents, for you edification (what does that word really mean
> anyways) I present to you, my Proposal for re-organizing konqueror's config
> dialogs.
>
> It follows below. Please, feel free to discuss amongst yourselves.
>
> + File Management
> ------- Behaviour
> ------- Appearance
> ------- Previews and Meta Data
> ------- Advanced Configuration
> 	------- File Associations
> 	------- Performance
> + Web Browsing
> ------- Web Behaviour
> ------- Web Fonts
> ------- Plugins
> ------- Java & Javascript
> ------- Privacy
> 	------- History
> 	------- Cookies
> 	------- Cache
> 	------- Proxy?
> ------- Advanced Configuration
> 	------- Browser Identification
> 	------- Web Shortcuts
> 	------- Stylesheets
> 	------- Security

A very general comment.  The current dialog has a problem that you have missed
and which I suggest that you should address.

The dialog is based on the false assumption that Konqueror is either a File
Manager or a Web Browser.  This is not the way it works.  Konqueror is a frame
in which you can run either a File Manager or a Web Browser.  Therefore, there
are some configuration options that apply to Konqueror (the frame) and then some
that apply to either the File Manager (KFM) or the Web Browser (KHTML).  The
configure dialog should, therefore, have three main divisions:

	Konqueror
	File Manager {Includes FTP and other protocols}
	Web Browsing {WWW}

And the dialog also contains GLOBAL KDE settings (e.g. File Associations) which
would require a fourth division:

	Global

Or perhaps this should be in a separate dialog -- a separate item on the
"Settings" menu.

The configuration options that apply to the frame should not be mixed in with
File Management and Web Browsing.

This applies to the current dialog as well.  The division: "Behavior" appears to
contain some things that apply to the frame and some that apply to File Management.

--
JRT