List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: KDE 3.3 review and configuration menu
From:       Sébastien_Laoût "\[temporar\]" <les83plus () free ! fr>
Date:       2004-09-21 17:22:39

Le mar 21/09/2004 à 18:44, Aaron Seigo a écrit :
> 3. they are put in well known places. users come to rely on the fact that they
> are always there in the menu of (nearly) every application. this greatly
> speeds up finding these tools as opposed to having to search for them in the
> application configuration dialogs.

I particulary agree with this point.
If we look better at KDE applications, settings that are in the
"Configure FooBar" dialog are _specific_ to FooBar.

Configuring shortcuts is common to almost every KDE applications.
It also allow to have less clutter in config dialog, as pointed out
before.
This distinctions is quite unusual to Windows users, but I think (yes: I
have no prouf of that!) that for the long therm it's better to have such
features in reliable places.

This is even more suitted to have separate dialog for editing toolbar
since right clicking a toolbar (an object) allow to popup the toolbar
editing dialog.
If this dialog is about to be embedded in the Config dialog, is
configuring the toolbar by right clicking the toolbar should show the
whole Config dialog? I would answer yes, for consistency (a feature
should appears in only one place, have a 'single dialog' and 'embedded'
version could make users thing they are not the same).
That would confuse even more the user, who *only* want to configure the
toolbar he right clicked.

My 1 cent.