List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: About Ark
From:       Thomas Zander <TZander () factotummedia ! nl>
Date:       2004-09-10 19:40:10

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Fri, Sep 10, 2004 at 04:24:03PM -0300, Henrique Pinto wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Em Sex 10 Set 2004 04:10, Thomas Zander escreveu:
> > I'd suggest adding a view->CRC and a context menu entry on the table-header
> > (like for the size column in kmail) and disable the view by default.
> > Just removing the item will sure make some users mad.
>
> Instead of having a (hidden) column, would it be reasonable if this kind of
> information was shown in a popup (like the one you get in Konqueror if you
> keep the cursor over a file) or in a "Properties" dialog?

I expect many users to want a global overview of much data; which implies a
column in the table.
Note that the two can be used together;  hidable columns and tooltips
complement each other.  As does the showing of data in a properties dialog.

> What columns do you think that must be shown? Casual observation leads me to
> think that most users only care about the filename, size and date/time. Do
> you think showing only these columns by default is a good thing or am I
> missing useful columns?

I'm certainly not the one to ask (I suggest asking on kde-devel or #kde) but
from where I stand I agree on your conclusion.
The quickest thing is to copy the way kmail shows/hides the columns IMO using
the view menu and/or a context-menu. I fear just providing tooltips will cause
bugreports asking for this implementation anyway.

Asking on #kmail or on the mailing list might be a good idea so you can
copy actual code from them..

> OK, you convinced me. I'll try to implement a collapsible tree...
:-)

--
Thomas Zander