List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: [Fwd: [kde-linux] Left Handed Mouse Pointers?]
From:       Thomas Zander <TZander () factotummedia ! nl>
Date:       2004-09-09 17:46:29

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Thu, Sep 09, 2004 at 07:00:16PM +0200, Tina Trillitzsch wrote:
> On Thu, 9 Sep 2004 18:30:59 -0300, Datschge <datschge@gmx.de> wrote:
> I agree with James that this is a usability issue. It's a perfect
> example of bad mapping as Donald Norman describes it in his classic
> "The Design of Everyday Things"/"The Psychology of Everyday Things"
> [1]. (The book is a very interesting read for anyone concerned with
> usability, by the way.)
>
> tina
>
> [1] The newer printings of the book have "design" instead of
> "psychology" in the title, but both versions are the same, as far as
> I know.

They are mostly the same; there is an extra section in the introduction
where Donald explains the name change; it goes something like this:
"The original (Psychology Of Everyday Things) title was really cool since
 the first letters spell POET!  But that was changed after one too many
 introductions where the audience was told that, unlike the title
 suggested, the book itself is very good!.

He admitted to breaking one of his own rules; whenever you feel you
created something really smart,  you probably did not.  Nobody will
understand the 'really cool' idea anyway.

A very wise lesson to learn in usability :)

ps. I fully agree that everyone who cares about usability should have
read the book!

--
Thomas Zander