List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: HIG
From:       Torsten Rahn <torsten.rahn () credativ ! de>
Date:       2004-09-03 8:49:11

> Thanks, I have a better picture now. So, the CIG is an in-house document for
> running the KDE project, but wouldn't be read by people who work on 3rd

No. it's not an "in-house" document. It basically covers all KDE
branding/marketing related stuff.
As such it describes the usage of the KDE color palette. This of course also
_includes_ the icon palette.

The CIG is basically the most important book for kde-artists, kde-pr-people
and kde-evangelists.

Concerning your "3rd parties":

The CIG is the part of the CIG/HIG combo which will likely be replaced by the
linux/KDE distributor with their own stuff specified in their own
CIG-document (most companies have such a document which specifies their
branding).

In general developers of a "3rd party" KDE application won't have to deal with
the CIG very much anyways as the look of their application will adapt to the
look of the KDE framework (which in turn depends on the look that the
distributor applied to it).

> apps using KDE technologies(but they would read the HIG). The CIG appears to
> have an organizational role within KDE.

right.

> Comparing Ellen's suggestion in the HIG review paper(p. 2) with yours
> description above; I think they contradicts. Ellen wants Icon and Colors in
> the HIG while it above(and according to Ken's mails IIRC) is in the CIG.

Icons and colors will be part of the HIG. But this will mostly just cover how
icons should look to make them userfriendly.
This does not cover the palette, the specific usage of strokes, perspective,
color or anything that is closely related to the KDE-artwork-style. Those
things belong into the CIG.

Ken, Frank and me have already worked on the icon-sections of the HIG, CIG and
AG and we already have already created some text which just needs to be
polished up a bit before we release it.

Of course the HIG, the CIG  and the AG will have some overlap and will
crossreference each other. And due to the fact that there will be a docbook
version of it you'll be able to put all three into a meta-document which
would cover the whole KDE design in terms of screen interface design and
print design from the point of a usability person, artists, pr-people and
accessibility experts.

Greetings,
Torsten Rahn