List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: HIG
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2004-09-03 7:26:27

On Thursday 02 September 2004 11:32, Frans Englich wrote:
> Thanks, I have a better picture now. So, the CIG is an in-house document
> for running the KDE project, but wouldn't be read by people who work on 3rd
> party apps using KDE technologies(but they would read the HIG).

no. it should also be followed by any 3rd party developer who wishes to use
the KDE trademarks and/or who wishes their application to look like a proper
KDE app

> The CIG
> appears to have an organizational role within KDE..(much needed).

yes

> Comparing Ellen's suggestion in the HIG review paper(p. 2) with yours
> description above; I think they contradicts. Ellen wants Icon and Colors in
> the HIG while it above(and according to Ken's mails IIRC) is in the CIG.

icon content and colour usage are usability issues; icon style and colour
pallete are corporate/community identity issues. so they don't contradict,
they compliment. which is why they need to be written together and why they
need to reference each other where appropriate

> The HIG would
> be read by 3rd parties, but not the CIG.

they are a collection of guidelines that are cross-referenced. people can (and
will) read the appropriate bits of the entire body of guidelines. they are
not as divided as you may be thinking they are.

> But, how to select a icon theme for KDE, that would be in the CIG since it
> concerns KDE as a project. Comments? (Ellen, Aaron?)

selecting an icon theme would be a practice of satisfying both the CIG and the
HIG. and the two would be written in a way that this is possible to do...

> I can clarify a little; I would rather see a chapter in the HIG about a11y
> than it being a separate document.
>
> We want focus on a11y; that developers read it and design for it. a11y is a
> little trickier than other cases since it is seldom an itch and is easily
> forgotten(and down priorited). When a11y is in a separate document people
> can forget it(they print the HIG only). If it's in the HIG there are big
> chances it gets read on the fly with all the rest. And we reference a
> chapter instead of a separate document.

well, these guidelines are less separate documents as they are different
sections of a larger work. Janina noted that the best way to present this is
to have a complete a11y document and have prominent markings _throughout_ the
HIG noting the "a11y impact" (low, medium, high) of that section with a link
to the appropriate place in the a11y document. i can only trust she knows
what she's talking about as she has done this before and is something of an
expert in the field =)

> I also think it would make it easier for us: we want things simple and
> avoid yet another document project if possible; KISS, and ease maintenance.
> I doubt the a11y text will be very large(perhaps 40 pages or less) and
> that's quite suitable for a chapter. In case it becomes too big, we split
> first then.

the a11y stuff is being written by the accessability team (namely the Schmidt
brothers). this isn't something we will be writing here as it is somewhat
out-of-scope for the usability team. the writing of the a11y guidelines will
happen in tandem to the HIG authoring by a second team of people, just like
the CIG.

ergo, the need for the kde-guidelines mailing list =)

--
Aaron J. Seigo