List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: HIG
From:       Frans Englich <frans.englich () telia ! com>
Date:       2004-09-03 2:40:31

On Friday 27 August 2004 14:48, Ellen Reitmayr wrote:
> On Thursday 26 August 2004 18:55, Celeste Paul wrote:
> > Following their structure is a good idea because the Gnome HIG is very
> > well organised and well written.  I am interested to know where the KDE
> > HIG and the Gnome HIG differ, and if its because of a difference in
> > opinion or lack of content on either partys part.
>
> The Gnome HIG is well written and organised, but is not suitable as a quick
> reference for developers (as t is too extensive and does not provide a
> summary of guidelines).
>
> With respect to KDE and Gnome HIG, there are some differences in opinion
> (e.g. modified files are marked by asterisk in the titlebar in gnome, while
> kde uses [modified]), but these are rather minor. Concerning the lack of
> content, there is rather a lack in kde's guide.

Yes, that's my impression too; in the cases KDE have corresponding content(the
GNOME HIG is as known a little bit more detailed..). The form may be
inappropriate(I can't comment, I don't know your ideas) but it's still a lot
of work which we easily can draw of; free guidelines, and it brings
consistency with GNOME too. We will create many new usability guidelines for
KDE, and reinventing the wheel, and perhaps on top in a way which differs
from GNOME, would be a shame. Everything we borrow should of course be well
considered and changed where appropriate.
It's not a yes/no issue whether to derive from GNOME, but the option should be
readily present when we work.

Cheers,

		Frans