List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: HIG
From:       Aaron Seigo <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2004-09-02 0:09:10

On September 1, 2004 15:56, Frans Englich wrote:
> example, according to quotes from Kenneth on kde-artists from the CIG(which
> I have a vague idea of what it is), it deals with how to select icon
> themes, and that's only relevant for a small group of KDE developers in
> rare occasions; The CIG is then not focused on 3rd parties and the common
> cases KDE applications will need.

actually, it is, for a couple of reasons.

Consistency: visual consistency creates a finished, polished look and puts
users at ease and makes KDE appear more professional. the CIG defines the
artistic aspects of that, such as:

 o Colours to use
 o Layouts of splashscreens
 o Official "K" logos in various colours/sizes
 o Wording to be used in association with KDE
 o How icons should look

Legal: KDE e.V. has trademarks on "KDE". this means we need to / are allowed
to have a say in how "KDE" and the related marks are used. the CIG will help
outline those demands.

these identity guidelines must work with the usability and accessability needs
of KDE, however. which is why we are doing all of this together instead of
each separately.

> What do you think practically will steer the content of the documents(for
> example in that aspect)? In one of the mails I suggested having a small
> "meta-HIG", document -- what do you think of that? Don't hesitate to go
> into details.

right now the DTDs and docbook stuff is being cooked up by those who know a
lot more about it than i and most of us here do =) once we have that, that's
a big part of things. but i don't know if we need to bog ourselves down by
too many rules surrounding writing the guidelines. i just want to see them
written and done so with consensus and cooperation by EVERYone
(accessibility, art, developers, usability)

> whether starting a new subdomain is a good idea,

guidelines.kde.org ... the collective group of guidelines do not belong on
usability.kde.org or accessibility.kde.org or artists.kde.org. but they do
belong together as they reference each other. however, this does not prevent
us from linking to appropriate areas in guidelines.kde.org from wherever
appropriate (developer.kde.org, usability.kde.org, etc)

> if it's good to separate accessibility/usability guidelines,

they must reference each other thoroughly, but are not 1:1 matches. in
particular, the HIG needs to reference the appropriate accessability
principles for each part of the HIG. due to this "must be referenced
thoroughly, but are not 1:1 matches" it was decided to go about it in this
way.

note that this had the input of people such as Janina from the American
Foundation for the Blind and the Free Standards Group. she's as much an
authority on accessibility and accessibility in Free Software as you'll ever
find =)

> if to use XSD, etc. etc. I may be

this would be for Lauri and friends... so i'll pass on this one. =)

--
Aaron J. Seigo
Society is Geometric