List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: The User Interface Guidelines have moved
From:       Christian Loose <christian.loose () hamburg ! de>
Date:       2004-09-01 22:20:39

On Wednesday 01 September 2004 23:48, Aaron Seigo wrote:
> On September 1, 2004 15:10, Christian Loose wrote:
> > On Wednesday 01 September 2004 22:36, Thomas Zander wrote:
> > > The HIG and many other guides have been decided to get a rewrite from
> > > zero by people that work in their respective fields daily;
> >
> > <sarcasm>That's a great idea! Maybe we should do the same with our
> > software.</sarcasm>
>
> we do, actually. the translators generally don't write the software for
> instance, and sometimes we do start from zero (witness our media apps since
> 3.1).

Actually I meant the "work in their respective fields daily" part not the
"rewrite from zero", but nevermind.

[-snip-]

> if you wish to get involved, openusability.org is a good place to watch
> some of these people work with developers. it's too noisy here for many
> developers, but this list serves an important function. openusability.org,
> which is migrating to the XML DTD we formulated on this very list, is a
> less noisy place and a place where we can all learn and even participate.

I think it's better for KDE to not get me involved here. Remember my bad
Cervisia error message.

I'm actually here to learn stuff and improve my UI skills. I think it's the
best way for me to help on the usability front. :-)

> so, in short. i agree with you that many people weren't visible enough, and
> that we need to be "more like KDE" than not like KDE in usability. [snip]

That would be great.

I'm mean we have some really motivated people here. Even if it's sometimes
tedious on this list (my KMail ignore thread button starts to wear off ;-))
and those people are less proficient I think it's important to get them
inside the boat. Good to hear that the usability pros want to get even more
involved.

> breaking some eggs in the process, but hey... that happens when you make
> omelettes.

It sometimes helps to prevent hurt feelings when the breakage of the eggs is
communicated early. ;-)

Christian