List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: misuse/abuse of popup windows - a real-life example
From:       Anne-Marie Mahfouf <annemarie.mahfouf () free ! fr>
Date:       2004-09-01 13:03:08

On September 1, 2004 07:03 am, Charles de Miramon wrote:
> Le mardi 31 Août 2004 22:18, Sébastien Laoût [temporar] a écrit :
> > Perhapse the interface can be *completly* redesigned and just present a
> > virtual keyboard to the user (each keys are buttons)...
>
> But KHangman is also to teach children to use a keyboard (not a virtual
> one).
yes, the special characters toolbar is a convenience for people who play in
another language. I have the english keyboard and my daughter likes to play
in spanish as she studies it.
> Another suggestion would be to add on the widget a little character on the
> left (an executer with a hooded cap) that would give information or advice
> to the child in form of passive popups (balloons). Depending on the level
> of difficulty,  the executioner would give the definition tip after a
> certain number of misses or a certain period of keyboard inactivity.
There is a tip mode (a passive popup on right-click) for several languages.
No executer though but if someone contribute to it I could add it.

In fact this reminds me that someone proposes to redo the KHangMan drawings in
svg but I am not sure how KDE can deal with this. This artist says that with
a svg hangman, the display of an arm for example is chosen in the code.
Anyone having already display scv pics on the fly in kde is welcome to send
me a mail with some pointers.
> BTW : why is the convict is hanged by the hand ? Is it on purpose, to make
> the game less grim ?
yes, a user found the usual hangman too severe for his children so he draw an
alternate hanging by the hand. This mode is default (called Milder Hangman
Pictures) and the usual drawing can be set in the Settings dialog.

Anne-Marie