List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: HIG
From:       Ellen Reitmayr <ellen.reitmayr () relevantive ! de>
Date:       2004-08-27 14:48:35

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Thursday 26 August 2004 18:55, Celeste Paul wrote:
> Following their structure is a good idea because the Gnome HIG is very well
> organised and well written.  I am interested to know where the KDE HIG and
> the Gnome HIG differ, and if its because of a difference in opinion or lack
> of content on either partys part.

The Gnome HIG is well written and organised, but is not suitable as a quick
reference for developers (as t is too extensive and does not provide a
summary of guidelines).

With respect to KDE and Gnome HIG, there are some differences in opinion (e.g.
modified files are marked by asterisk in the titlebar in gnome, while kde
uses [modified]), but these are rather minor. Concerning the lack of content,
there is rather a lack in kde's guide.

I compared several guidelines and wrote a brief document about the differences
(merely with respect to the format - as it was necessary to identify what is
required to make hig readable and applicable). I will probably publish it on
monday (after aKademy, location will be announced then).

Greetings,
/ellen

> -- Celeste
>

> On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 19:08:46 +0200
>
> Charles de Miramon <cmiramon@kde-france.org> wrote:
> > Le jeudi 26 Août 2004 13:03, Jan Muehlig a écrit :
> > > I would like to discuss some of the requirements the future HIG should
> > > meet.
> >
> > Do you think it is desirable to follow the structure of the Gnome HIG
> > document whenever possible so we can steal/share well written paragraphs
> > of their HIG ?
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Charles
> > --
> > cmiramon@kde-france.org
> > http://www.kde-france.org

Ellen Reitmayr          email: reitmayr@relevantive.de
Usability Engineer      mobil: +49.177.3325867
relevantive AG          fon:   +49.30.23455630
Zehdenicker Str. 21     fax:   +49.30.23455639
10119 Berlin            web:   www.relevantive.de