List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: On standardizing "systray icon oriented" application
From:       Aaron Seigo <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2004-08-25 21:45:27

On Wednesday 25 August 2004 22:06, Sébastien Laoût [temporar] wrote:
> This describe applications with a main window and a systray icon that
> control the visibility of this window (click the icon to show/hide it).

i'll echo what Frans said, namely that this is a good idea but we'll have to
come back to it soon rather than right now. that said....

..... we need to address not only the interaction of the window and the
systray, but also what systrays should look like, what kind of applications
should provide them, what should be in their systray popup menus and
interaction issues such as single vs double click and left vs middle vs right
click.

i expect the systray to gain the ability to query the app as to its current
status (active, not active, new information to show the user, etc)

then we should put AS MUCH of this as possible in the KSystemTray class and
push those parts of the guidelines into the "Implemented in the Libraries as
Policies" part of the HIG. =)

--
Aaron Seigo, currently in Ludwigsburg
KDE World Conference 2004: aKademy