List:       kde-usability
Subject:    On standardizing "systray icon oriented" application
From:       Sébastien_Laoût "\[temporar\]" <les83plus () free ! fr>
Date:       2004-08-25 20:06:31

Hello,

As we are on HIG, I'm asking if applications that have systray icon
could be standardized, or at least figure in the new HIG.
It's not threated in the current guidestyle. Perhapse somebody forsee to
include it, but in the cunter case, I propose it:

Let's me explain what sort of things I would put in the section:

This describe applications with a main window and a systray icon that
control the visibility of this window (click the icon to show/hide it).

- When started by the KMenu/kicker/Alt+F2/command_line, always show the
window
Rational: If user want to start the application, he has something to do
with. And, the most important thing, he expect feedback: have a new
24x24 icon is hardly noticable (more important when the user start it
for the first time).
- At KDE session restart, restore the window if it was shown at logout
the last time.
Rational: because it's how sessions works :-)
Example: add a small code snippet, so even if the application does not
support (yet) KDE sessions, it would support it for that feature without
pain.
- When clicking the [x] button of the window title, show an information
dialog with "Do not show again" checkbox.
Rationnal: It is important to informing the user the applications
willn't be quitted (unlike all other apps) but the window
hidden/minimized to the systray.
Example: It's where dialogs should be consistent accross KDE and the
code snippet is very important:
KMessageBox::information(this, i18n("<qt>Closing the main window will
keep %1 running in the system tray. Use 'Quit' from the 'File' menu to
quit the application.</qt>"), i18n("Docking in System
Tray").arg(kapp->name()), "hideOnCloseInfo");
The message is from JuK (source code say to use queuedMessageBox from
KDE 3.3). I find it good. amaroK have "File" in bold... It has to be
discussed, and kept consistent.
Additional: A usability report done for my own app suggested to take a
screenshot of the icon the systray and show it in the dialog. Rational:
User never read the messages: a picture explain all very quickly without
have to pay attention in reading..., and users are pleased with.
Don't know if it is currently possible to embed images in KMessageBox
(seem not...).
- Perhapse a "Don't show again" message on exit saying that the user
haven't to quit the app by herself because it will be reloaded on the
next KDE session if the app is minimized to systray. The dialog offering
"Quit" and "Cancel".
Rationnal: I'm not sure. Systray apps are theorically 'deamons' or
assimilated, so they wouldn't need to be started/quitted so frequently
by hand (it could be an introduction, saying what kind of app could have
a systray... but by beeing large: KMail is also "a sort of" deamon). And
it inform the user of the feature (yes, it's not a reason but: Windows
commers are used to *toggle option* to make an app restart at windows
start: with KDE it's more normal that apps that are running on KDE exit
restart when KDE restart. It's cool to know it).

I'm now searching exceptions where it would not apply to see if that
"standardization" is a good think.
I just see Klipper, but it hasn't any main window...
Appliying it to Kalarm would be great too because when I launch it one
time and close it, it reappears on next KDE login, even if I haven't any
alarm set. Yes, it can be configured but I always need two trys (and KDE
restart) to configure it well (and I don't care of the deamon thing: for
me KAlarm IS the deamon and should be *definitivly* quitted when I
choose Quit).
KTimer is also acting differently: clicking the [x] close it immediatly,
whereas by beeng used to JuK, amaroK... I was expecting it to minimize
to systray.
So, a standardization is welcome, nowaday systray apps are numerous.

Sébastien Laoût.