List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: User Interface Guidelines
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2004-08-08 20:24:39

On Sunday 08 August 2004 03:50, Datschge wrote:
> On Saturday 07 August 2004 15:14, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > your ideas are very similar to thoughts of my own ... that's
> > encouraging (at least to me =) ... though i'd put the emphasis the
> > other way around: the main body of the document should be how to
> > accomplish in straightforward, imperative language a usable
> > interface. "Do this, then that, then the other thing."
>
> That's quite a change of pace, doing everything "backward", that alone
> makes it interesting. ;)

well, i've approached it from the viewpoint of "Why do we have guidelines?"
and the answer i've come to is: "To help developers figure out how to write
applications with good interfaces and with good interaction models." so i've
come to the belief that that should be the primary focus.

> But yes, great idea as it's not as abstract
> and disconnected from the actual development as most usability
> guidelines (including the current KDE user interface guidelines) are
> nowadays. So I agree, let's do it that way. =) It may also help much
> bridging the usability side with the development side and vice versa
> which is always a good thing.

exactly =)

and further usability "education" (all the abstract stuff and background
reasoning that is entertaining to us usability folks) is just a click away
for those who do wish to look into it further.

> I think e.g. targeting the different
> audiences could be greatly realized by using different stylesheets
> for each target group.

back when we were starting in on a shared GNOME/KDE/* HIG this was exactly how
i suggested doing it there =)

for instance, one could set code segments to hide or shown either on the fly
or globally.

--
Aaron J. Seigo