List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: User Interface Guidelines
From:       Datschge <datschge () gmx ! de>
Date:       2004-08-08 16:50:29

On Saturday 07 August 2004 15:14, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> your ideas are very similar to thoughts of my own ... that's
> encouraging (at least to me =) ... though i'd put the emphasis the
> other way around: the main body of the document should be how to
> accomplish in straightforward, imperative language a usable
> interface. "Do this, then that, then the other thing."

That's quite a change of pace, doing everything "backward", that alone
makes it interesting. ;) But yes, great idea as it's not as abstract
and disconnected from the actual development as most usability
guidelines (including the current KDE user interface guidelines) are
nowadays. So I agree, let's do it that way. =) It may also help much
bridging the usability side with the development side and vice versa
which is always a good thing.

Cheers, Datschge

PS:
> isn't it interesting how virtually every single set of usability
> guideliness provided is a serial manifesto when we have at our
> disposal tools such as hypertext, stylesheet based rendering,
> searching and other such devices that could make such documents
> more usable themselves?

Anyone willing to try designing a site structure which takes those
concerns into consideration? I think e.g. targeting the different
audiences could be greatly realized by using different stylesheets
for each target group.