List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Akademy and Usability
From:       Charles de Miramon <cmiramon () kde-france ! org>
Date:       2004-08-03 11:36:48

Hello all,
I've unsuscribed from the list for a while (too much work, too little
time...). Finally, I hope to come to Akademy on my way back from holiday for
the first week-end but I'll have to leave on Monday to go back to work. I was
wondering if usability people there would like to have an first short reunion
during the week-end where I could participate before the big one organized by
Aaron ?

I've watched reunion of geeks where people tend to flock by group of 2 or 3
people around a computer showing each other proudly their code or their vim
skill. It is quality time spent but their is no much debate or brainstorming.
I think it would be useful to push some kind of discipline.

Maybe each of us can talk for 5 minutes about the different topics (KControl,
Kicker, more funtionalities in KWin, Usability process, etc.) and a secretary
can take notes and then the secretary could post a rewritten document so that
people who could not come can add their thoughts. Having a formal way to
divide the talking is a good way to help people not totally fluent in English
no to stay mumb.

A good goal for our group would be to have some kind of documents for each of
the different component we want to improve for KDE4 and give some Usability
team recommendations. These documents should not be be too precise or
over-engineered. We must leave some room to developer who will do the coding.

I'll tell in advance my two hobby borses I would like to push during Akademy

- I like Benoît's Kcontrol3 and I don't like the different rip-off of
WindowsXP control panel (Benjamin's KControl4, Frans' KControl4, Pupeno's
KControl). For me the goal of the revamped KControl should not be something
that "look" simple but an application where you can easily understand what is
going to happen if I push this button, contextual help and explanations
should be an important part of the interface.

- I think that we should expand the concept of theming more (Kicker, KMenu,
etc.). If I could chose in KPersonalizer not only Plastik/Keramik/Redmond but
themes corresponding to our different type of users : Newbie/ Girlfriend /
Web Developer/Knowledge worker/Programmer/Sysadmin/ etc. and obtain
configurations ranging from something like Mandrake Discovery to Debian KDE
with all the bells and whistles, we will elegantly solve a recurrent
interrogation about the over complexity of KDE.

Cheers,
Charles
---
cmiramon@kde-france.org