List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: kcontrol module kcm_arts oversized
From:       Christoph Niemann <cnieman () suse ! de>
Date:       2004-08-03 7:57:45

Luciano Montanaro wrote:
> On Saturday 31 July 2004 13:22, Florian Graessle wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 11:20:29 +0200
>>
>>Luciano Montanaro <mikelima@cirulla.net> wrote:
>>
>>>Ok. In the attachments there is a the new version of the changes.
>>>I had to move around the options quite a bit, but I think the new
>>>version is ok. I had to change the other panel too (It forced a
>>>minimum height for no reason I could understand). With these changes,
>>>the panel fits in an 800x600 screen when using a reasonably sized
>>>font.
>>>
>>>If there is no objection, I'll commit the changes tomorrow evening.
>>>(or sooner, if someone gives me a go-ahead).
>>
>>Maybe it's better to arrange the checkboxes on the left and their
>>corresponding edit lines on the right of each line?
>>
>>See my a mock-up: http://www.uni-koblenz.de/~soma/bldr/hardwaretab.png
>>
>>I also changed the naming a little bit, got rid of "use" and "select".
>>Shouldn't it be "sample rate" instead of "sampling rate"? I'm not a
>>native speaker, but at least http://www.googlefight.com says so...
>>
>>What do you think?
>

> Your version seems cleaner than mine, but since we are in message and feature
> freeze, I'd go for the minimal changes, for now.
> And I'm not sure arts is going to be with us for much longer...

Sorry for the late reply, but I am just making my way through two weeks
of email. I don't know if it is already too late, but here are two
suggestions anyways:

If you choose your version, switch the line edit and the corresponding
check box for "Override device location:" In the UI-file it looks like:

[ line edit ]
[ ] Override device location:

[ ] Use other custom options:
[ line edit ]

If I understand the dialog correctly, the upper line edit belongs to the
first checkbox and the lower line edit to the second checkbox. Is that
intended? If so, I would suggest something like this:

[ ] Override device location:
[ line edit ]

[ ] Use other custom options:
[ line edit ]

As a second remark, while you are at it: In the general tab, the two
buttons "Test Midi" and "Test sound" are very wide. Could you change
them into normally sized buttons for a more aesthetic look?

Otherwise, I like your changes.

ciao
Christoph