List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Inconsistency in highlighting of panel buttons
From:       Maurizio Colucci <seguso.forever () tin ! it>
Date:       2004-08-02 11:46:47

On Sunday 01 August 2004 18:28, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:

>i'd simply ask: exactly how does this "inconsistency" effect usability? in
>other words: how many users run into problems because of it? and what types
>of problems do they run into? simply noting that something isn't exactly the
>same as everywhere else doesn't really mean much. putting it into task-based
>contexts and relating it to actual usage does.

1. Your pragmatic approach is good, but such a small problem may be more
easily fixed than discussed --- of course you must know the codebase.

2. If you ask me to psychoanalise myself, I have this uneasy feeling I don't
perceive what the actual boundary of the sensitive area is. I recall reading
at least two similar complaints on osnews: a gnome user was complaining that
the special buttons in kicker "are too small and don't fill the whole height
of the panel". Apparently, he was mislead by the small icons; he did not
perceive the actual button size was bigger than the icon. If the button had
drawn a bounding box on mouseover, this would not have happened.

Mau