List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Inconsistency in highlighting of panel buttons
From:       Maurizio Colucci <seguso.forever () tin ! it>
Date:       2004-08-02 11:44:17

On Sunday 01 August 2004 10:49, Jamethiel Knorth wrote:
>The idea is that the 'link' type buttons in Kicker are actually like type 2
>buttons. That is, they change appearance when the cursor is over them. The
>bounding box is replaced by the resizing of the icons. The important thing
>is that there is clear feedback from the button, and the resizing is a
>perfectly acceptable way to give that.

Ok. Now i understand the biggest problem is that suse has disabled the
enlarging, leaving only a barely perceivable highlighting. This is of course
not KDE's fault.

However, now, even after turning on the icon enlarging on mouse-over, I still
feel a bit uneasy because:

1. the enlarging is only applied in special buttons, not for the icons in the
"devices" applet. There, only highlighting takes place.

2. I still have a feeling I don't perceive what the actual boundary of the
sensitive area is. I recall reading at least two similar complaints on
osnews: a gnome user was complaining that the special buttons in kicker are
too small and don't fill the whole height of the panel. Apparently, he was
mislead by the small icons; he did not perceive the actual button size was
bigger than the icon. If the button had drawn a bounding box on mouseover,
this would not have happened.

Maurizio