List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: KAdmin
From:       Ra1n <pk20it () yahoo ! it>
Date:       2004-08-01 9:27:48

Frans Englich wrote:
> On Sunday 01 August 2004 01:55, Ra1n wrote:
>
>>Gérard Delafond wrote:

>>>Can I not compile a kernel if I don't use a server ?

>>>You know, my life did not change when kinfocenter got separed from
>>>KControl. I even think it was a little better before.
>>
>>Kinfocenter should be separated from the actual kcontrol IMHO, it's a
>>simple system information panel that doesn't give access to any
>>modification, it simply lists system status
>>

>>>If you follow that way, you will listen to people who say Konqueror does
>>>too many things.
>>
>>But konqueror DOES too many things :-D
>

> Gérard and everyone else; let's keep Konqueor out of this.
I agree.

>>>A program does never do too many things are made by modules.
>>>Admin (or info) stuff can be grouped in One entry of the left pane. Not
>>>very confusing if the name is good.
>>
>>I agree, by now there is not a real distinction between server and
>>desktop controls, for example I have a desktop but I want to add another
>>user(my girlfriend for example) this task should go into kadmin, but
>>it's still related to the desktop.
>

> A similar case can be found in network configuration; doesn't regular users
> needs to set up their NIC? Of course.
>
> We will have a light user KCM in KControl for girl friends, guest accounts and
> so forth, while KAdmin have this crazy functionality useful for thousands of
> users(and KAdmin would have NIC setup, routing tables, and so forth).
>
> This is one way of avoiding feature bloat -- making functionality Only
> available where its relevant.
Yes you're right but if I understood you idea, you want to split (and
enhance) kcontrol into  desktop config(kcontrol) and computer
config(kadmin) I don't think this is a good idea, for the reasons above,
and having two entries, one "light" for kcontrol, and the full modules
for kadmin is, imho, a nonsense, it will add feature bloat.
Why instead don't have first a good control center that includes kadmin
(in every way, it colud be still possible to launch it stand alone)
Ah I forgot, if you want a full featured admin module there is Yast that
has been GPL'ed

Luca