List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Single vs Multi Window KControl
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2004-08-01 0:01:55

On Saturday 31 July 2004 05:17, Frans Englich wrote:
> * If we go for SW by having the navigation mechanism positioned outside the
> module viewing area(as our current kcontrol) it is hard to make KControl
> live up to the 800x600 requirement[1]

bah. we've done it with most kcontrols up to now and i see no limitation on
doing it with all of them.

> and also have a good navigation
> mechanism.

MacOS X. sorry to keep repeating this in this email, but they did it. so can
we.

> An MW approach, as the two currently proposed, easily lives up
> to that KDE UI Guidelines paragraph.

"easy way out". by making it harder to use, we make the windows a few dozen
pixels smaller. i don't think that's a worthy trade off.

> * If we go for SW by fully hiding the navigation layout(which will be

>     * It makes learning easier
>     * It makes navigation easier since time is not spent on relocation
>     * It provides a feeling of solidness and comfortness; the navigation is
> stable, looks the same, and is a "reference spot" the user always know. It
> never suddenly disappears, and will always be visible behind the
> configuration dialog since they are smaller than the main window.

yes. and it's easier for the majority of users for whome multiple windows are
a major pain rather than a nice thing.

> * MW means faster navigation since the navigation mechanism is not
> hidden(not faster as in how the user physically interacts, but the need of
> scanning the interface).

i couldn't agree LESS. please, look at how Apple did it on MacOS X to
understand just how quick and slick a SW implementation can work. you assume
an "either / or" situation where we either show ALL nav or show NONE. this is
ignoring other options in between. think in colour, not black and white.

when i was engaged in KControl discussions on this very list last year i
described quite clearly how one does not need to show ALL the navigation ALL
the time for it to be navigable.

and again, MacOS X proves this point conclusively.

> Having the content of categories as an icon list in the configuration
> dialog[2] has the same drawback. The category cannot be viewed without
> opening a dialog and that makes Trial&Rrror and navigation in general much
> slower.

agreed.

> However, the positive side is the "main" navigation then can be
> made simpler, but I think the cost is too high. I solved it by adding an
> additional icon view[3] -- the window is still small and the layout is
> simple.

and there is no obvious connection between the top and the bottom. this is an
interface that must be learned, and one that is not capable of exposing as
much as the user wishes/needs (only one category at a time)

there is probably little to NO need to emphasize categories nearly so much by
giving them that much screen real estate.

move out SysAdmin to the KDE Administrator's Tool (which should be MW) and
we're down to 7 groups that should be easily displayed at once WITH the most
important control panel destinations in each displayed.

> * Xandros' CTO explicitly states in an interview they prefer MW in
> KControl[2]. I don't know why they prefer it, but that is a vote for MW
> from a major linux distributor which targets regular users.

perhaps i should go get a job as the CTO of some minor distro too ;-)

Xandros, btw, is not a "major linux distributor". they are a small fish in
that world. important to us as a valued user and promotre of KDE, but let's
keep some perspective.

> * Someone stated MW is confusing for new users.

that'd be me. =)

> Having a MW KControl  is
> just as confusing as the desktop in general

oh, so we should make it worse? and we should ignore the fact that many users
simply use maximized widows and switch between them using the task bar, which
renders the "they are used to it" idea moot, since they are realy _working
around_ the problem rather than _getting used to it_?

> infinitum -- if that's ok, it must be alright with it in KControl too. It's

ok. so why does kmail have an all-in-one interface, like most every other
email client? why does it put things all in different windows? because for
the TASK it's more efficient. it does have popup windows (config, wizards,
etc) and so do many control panels. but it keeps the main activity interface
sane and well sorted.

something Apple mucked up on in MacOS X was putting the folder list in
Mail.app in a "joined at the hip" sub window, specifically because this task
really is well suited to a single window paradigm.

or we could go on to consider why tabbed web browsing is so amazingly popular
among experienced and unsophisticated users alike once they discover it.

> like ordinary configuration dialogs, not worse. Remember, the configuration
> dialogs are, just as the ordinary ones, smaller than the main window, and
> always above the main window -- the former gives a sense of control, and
> the latter ensures they don't "dissapear" behind the main window.

you're kidding right? you want the control panels to float ABOVE the
navigation? getting in the way, so you have to MOVE them aside to get to the
navigation? the #1 strength of an MW approach is being able to do more than
one thing at a time, the #2 strength is being able to access a larger nav
area in an unfettered way and you are proposing to limit if not outright
destroy those two benefits?

> In other words, I prefer MW because SW hinders efficient navigation, not

which is why MacOS X's SW implementation is so much easier to get around in
compared to most MW implementations i've used? hm.

> because it allows /multiple/ configuration dialogs -- as someone pointed
> out that is used by power users, and I would like to emphasize that aspect
> should not rule our decision.

unlike a "KDE Administrator's Tool" most panels are orthogonal and needed one
at a time. having multiple configs open (which you are thinking of hindering
anyways, it seems) is not a useful win.

--
Aaron J. Seigo