List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: kcontrol
From:       Sean Lynch <lynch30 () marshall ! edu>
Date:       2004-07-26 11:10:35

On Monday 26 July 2004 12:05 am, Jamethiel Knorth wrote:
> Second, you seem to be using a multi-window approach. I am strongly against
> that for many reasons. Many users are confused by a new window appearing
> once they want to return to the original one. Closing the new window seems
> risky to some people, and it can cause many issues. If that cannot be
> worked around, I don't think there will be as large an improvement in
> KControl as some of us hope. Even if it does get much cleaner, it will have
> introduces new problems into the mix at the expense of the old ones. That
> isn't to say that it needs to be single-window, but I would strongly
> recommend trying for a single-window approach.

I don't really agree with the single window approach.  For comparison, I've
used both Mandrake's Control Center (which is a single window approach) and
Suse's Yast (which is a multi window approach).  I think its very easy to get
lost with "how far into this menu am I..." and is not quick to open another
module.  Some people may also want to be open up many modules at the same
time, which would be impossible unless a whole new kcontrol was opened.

Benjamnin - I like your grouping very much.  I haven't tried to run your code
yet, but plan to soon.

--Sean