List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Few miscellaneous suggestions
From:       Janne Ojaniemi <janne.ojaniemi () nbl ! fi>
Date:       2004-07-23 15:57:04

On Friday 23 July 2004 00:53, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> > Finding Files.... As I fire up "Find Files" in 3.2.3, what do I see? A
> > really weird button-layout! Why on earth is "about" the first button
> > right next to the textbox? When I tried to find files for the first time,
> > that was the button I instinctively pushed in order to start the search.
> > "about" should be somewhere else, the current location is just about the
> > worst possible location for it.
>
> Yes, this is certainly weird.  The solution to this is to have a Menubar
> for Kfind when called as an application (I always use it as a KPart in
> Konqueror) and have: "About" and "Help" on the Menubar in the usual manner.
>  Perhaps the Menubar should be not visible as the default -- using <F1>
> will still get help without doing <Ctrl>M to get the Menubar first.

I made a bug-report about Kfind, and 2 hours later the about-button was
removed. That is IMO a good thing :)

> > I wont talk about Plastik vs. Keramik, since I know the situation there,
> > and I agree with the developers. But, FWIW, first thing I do after a
> > fresh install, is to switch to Plastik.
>
> I have to disagree there.  Perhaps this could be addressed with
> Kpersonalizer.

That could be one way to handle it. But then again, it's one additional thing
the user has to do in order to tweak the UI to his liking.

> I don't like these 'really cool' themes and I think that
> business users would tend to agree.

Many non-business users would agre as well. My desktop is pretty toned down
(well, some might consider my desktop background as "flashy")

http://217.30.176.84/~janne/desktop.png