List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Few miscellaneous suggestions
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2004-07-22 21:51:54

Carlos Leonhard Woelz wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 22:27:27 +0200, "William Leese" <william@leese.nl>
> said:
>
>>Anyway, if there's one thing I've learned by lurking on this list for
>>some time is that regardless of how many people agree with you
>>(default_blue, plastik), simply voicing your opinion here won't get you
>>anywhere.
>

> I disagree. If changes do not happen it is not because people disregard
> the opinions here. For something to happen, two conditions must be
> fullfilled:
> 1) There must be an agreement
> 2) Someone must be willing to implement it
>
> For instance, there are strong reasons against changing the default
> widget style again. (condition one)
> I am not aware of the restrictions on changing the default background to
> default_blue, but I know some distributions remove it, because it is
> similar to another OS default background. So maybe this is the reason it
> is not the default background.
>

>>Don't ask me how to get these changes implemented though.
>

> See conditions one and two.
>

>>Unless you get the backing of an involved developer who can manage to
>>convince his peers, then you're doomed to endless argument on
>>mailinglists.
>

> I strongly disagree. Your argument is as good as any. Just try to
> understand the developers reasons, and see if you can work around the
> restriction, or find a new angle to the discussion.

In this case, although the reasons have validity, the action is wrong.  Keramik
is 'really cool' but it is not very usable.  This is a problem that needs to be
fixed.  Actually, this issue should have been considered more carefully before
it was made the default.  Now, it needs to be fixed ASAP.

--
JRT