List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Few miscellaneous suggestions
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2004-07-22 21:51:27

Mikolaj Machowski wrote:
> Dnia czwartek, 22 lipca 2004 21:42, Janne Ojaniemi napisał:
>
>> The default font seems to be helvetica (at least it has been on my case).
>> Why? They look bad, and AA doesn't seem to work with them. We have some
>> very nice free fonts available (like Bitstream) that look a lot better than
>>  helvetica does!
>

> Default font thing was mentioned at least one time before.
>
> I agree Helvetica is ugly

Helvetica is NOT ugly.  The problem is that XFree86 comes with bit mapped
Helvetica and scaled bit map fonts ARE ugly.  Actually, part of this problem
might be that XFree86 is not properly configured to prevent scaling a bit mapped
font.  If you have Type1 Helvetica installed, it is fine.  You can use the
Helvetica that comes with old versions of Adobe Acrobat Reader (for Windows),
but this is a violation of the EULA so distros can NOT do this. A stock distro
will not have Type1 or TrueType Helvetica installed because they would have to
license it.  So, this is (now) a very bad choice for a default -- it has become
obsolete now that XFree86 comes with scalable fonts (but NOT scalable Helvetica).

> but Bitstream is out of the question - no proper i18n. If anything Nimbus
> Sans Serif would do it.

Using the alias "Sans Serif" is probably the best choice -- FontConfig should
find a suitable Type1 or TrueType font.

--
JRT