List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Few miscellaneous suggestions
From:       Janne Ojaniemi <janne.ojaniemi () nbl ! fi>
Date:       2004-07-22 5:34:51

On Wednesday 21 July 2004 23:27, William Leese wrote:
> Janne Ojaniemi wrote:
> > Finding Files.... As I fire up "Find Files" in 3.2.3, what do I see? A
> > really weird button-layout! Why on earth is "about" the first button
> > right next to the textbox? When I tried to find files for the first time,
> > that was the button I instinctively pushed in order to start the search.
> > "about" should be somewhere else, the current location is just about the
> > worst possible location for it.
>
> That is pretty weird. Filed a bug yet?

Not yet :).

> > Buttons on the Kicker. I think we should have absolute bare minimum
> > there. I personally have four buttons: the K-menu, Show Desktop, Terminal
> > and Konqueror. I do also have the Pager, but I don't categorize that one
> > as a button. Application-buttons (Kmail, Kword etc.) should be removed.
> > They should be accesses through the Kmenu by default, like rest of the
> > apps are. Same thing with help. Konqueror is different, since it's really
> > a central app to KDE, and Terminal is always needed (but I wouldn't lose
> > any sleep if default config dropped it from the toolbar).
>
> Might want to let this topic rest for a bit. The current defaults are
> useful without being overkill.

Yes, I'm aware that there was some heated discussion when they talked about
removing Konsole from the taskbar. But I was simply wondering as to why some
apps have a button in the taskbar, whereas other apps do not. And why is
"Home" in the taskbar, when it's already in the desktop _and_ in the Kmenu?
Same thing for Kmail and Help and Kword (if Koffice is installed).

> Anyway, if there's one thing I've learned by lurking on this list for
> some time is that regardless of how many people agree with you
> (default_blue, plastik), simply voicing your opinion here won't get you
> anywhere. Don't ask me how to get these changes implemented though.
> Unless you get the backing of an involved developer who can manage to
> convince his peers, then you're doomed to endless argument on mailinglists.

Well, I trust that the developers read the mailing-lists, so they get a
general idea what the users think. But I try to file bugreports as well.