List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Few miscellaneous suggestions
From:       Art Carney <greencarrots () nospammail ! net>
Date:       2004-07-22 1:46:16

On July 21, 2004 04:04 pm, Carlos Leonhard Woelz wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 22:43:15 +0200, "Christoph Wiesen"
>
> <chris@deadhand.com> said:
> > William Leese wrote:
> > > Anyway, if there's one thing I've learned by lurking on this list for
> > > some time is that regardless of how many people agree with you
> > > (default_blue, plastik), simply voicing your opinion here won't get you
> > > anywhere. Don't ask me how to get these changes implemented though.
> > > Unless you get the backing of an involved developer who can manage to
> > > convince his peers, then you're doomed to endless argument on
> > > mailinglists.
> >
> > Unfortunately this simply seems to be the way things are - so there will
> > just
> > be no change regardless of how many users raise their voice since it's
> > all
> > been discussed before.
> > It's only that somehow it seems there is a "Plastik now" discussion going
> > on
> > everywhere - mailing lists, osnews, the dot...
> > Ah well, as most point out it's not that bad as long as you only have to
> > maintain a single system  - but since I somehow always think about
> > installing
> > many systems it seems all the more annoying to have t change the theme to
> > be
> > less "hey look at me!!". So I simply have to comment ... would feel wrong
> > me not to.
>
> Changing the default style too often make documentation and screenshots
> outdated. And it is a *huge* effort to update them. KDE is translated to
> many languages, each of them (ideally) with their on set of docs and
> screenshots. Imagine if we change them on every release. It is easy for
> the programmers to change that. But the documenters and translators
> won't be happy.
>
> That is why this discussion has been postponed to KDE 4.0. To respect
> the documenters and translators hard work. These reasons have been
> stated again and again here in this list, in the dot, osnews, as well
> and no good solution has been presented to this problem. So this is not
> a question of dismissing other people's opinions. Quite the opposite.

On the style question, why don't we compromise between the two an pick
ThinKeramik. It is an attractive style which is light but also has more
eyecandy than Plastik and also is quite close to Keramik. This could even be
done in the 3.3 release. Some people might not like it though since it is
SuSE's default theme.

For backgrounds, I've always thought KDE should go with more understated logo
type picture such as this one at Looky:
http://kde-look.org/content/show.php?content=5757