List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: General KDE Usability
From:       John Doyle <sean () doyle55 ! freeserve ! co ! uk>
Date:       2004-07-13 17:56:51

On Tuesday 13 Jul 2004 7:47 pm, Tom Chance wrote:
> On Tuesday 13 Jul 2004 15:29, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> > KDE is the power user's desktop.  We do not want to turn it into another
> > GNOME! :-)
>
> Is this the general opinion of KDE, or just yours, James? I for one don't
> consider KDE to only be for power users. I install it by default on
> complete newbie's machines because I think it's better in various other
> respects. IMO KDE is, and ought to be, for all classes of user.
>
> I'd rather not see KDE and GNOME take the approach that they should only
> differ in their initial configuration and general configurability :o)

I agree tom and i thought this was understood as the basis of kde. I quote
Matthias Ettrich in the project announcement,
"The idea is NOT to create a GUI for the complete UNIX-system or the
System-Administrator. For that purpose the UNIX-CLI with thousands of tools
and scripting languages is much better. The idea is to create a GUI for an
ENDUSER. Somebody who wants to browse the web with Linux, write some letters
and play some nice games"