List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: lock screen
From:       Art Carney <greencarrots () nospammail ! net>
Date:       2004-07-08 19:48:07

On July 8, 2004 11:54 am, Jamethiel Knorth wrote:
> >From: Florian Graessle <flograessle@uni.de>
> >Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2004 10:55:38 +0200
> >
> >On Thu, 8 Jul 2004 10:27:15 +0200
> >
> >Sander van de Graaf <svdgraaf@idg.nl> wrote:
> > > I don't know if this has already been discussed, but I was wondering
> > > why there wasn't a 'lock screen' option when I press ctrl + alt + del,
> > > or when I select the 'logout' button from the K menu (same window).
> > >
> > > IMHO it would be an improvement when the 'lock screen' would be
> > > available in this 'end-session' window.
> >
> >Well, the lock screen doesn't actually end the session, whilst "End
> >session only", "Turn off computer" and "Restart Computer" really do. So
> >I think it would be pretty unappropriate there.
>
> Just because it does not fit under the term "End Session" does not mean it
> would be inappropriate. The purpose of "End Session" is to give it a term
> people can understand, because there is no way to say that it is an action
> you want to use when you are finished using your computer for the moment.
> It fits into the idea of the button, it merely misses the exact meaning.
>
> For a similar example, look at the "Turn Off Computer" button in MS-Windows
> XP. It pops up three options: "Stand By", "Turn Off", and "Restart". The
> reason those don't all fit under the title is because it is more important
> that users know what the button will do.
>
> If a user clicks "End Session", then sees "Lock Screen" in the options
> list, they can ignore it. Telling them to just use hotkeys, which they must
> look up in the shortcut editor, is unbelievably far from a good solution.

I agree in part with your suggestion but not regarding the screen locking. One
thing that really has bothered me is that if you're using KDE on a machine
capable of APM or ACPI suspend, the only way to make your computer go into
standby is to right-click on the little klaptopdaemon icon and then choose
Suspend or Suspend. It would be better if Suspend were available as an option
on the K Menu or even within the Logout options. Right now, it's very out of
the way and not too convenient.

Lock screen has a much higher visibility than Suspend. It's on the K Menu, and
also on the Desktop popup menu. Plus it can be assigned a keystroke. That
seems like enough paths to get to it for anyone.