List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: lock screen
From:       "Jamethiel Knorth" <jamethknorth () hotmail ! com>
Date:       2004-07-08 16:54:52

>From: Florian Graessle <flograessle@uni.de>
>Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2004 10:55:38 +0200
>
>On Thu, 8 Jul 2004 10:27:15 +0200
>Sander van de Graaf <svdgraaf@idg.nl> wrote:
>
> > I don't know if this has already been discussed, but I was wondering
> > why there wasn't a 'lock screen' option when I press ctrl + alt + del,
> > or when I select the 'logout' button from the K menu (same window).
> >
> > IMHO it would be an improvement when the 'lock screen' would be
> > available in this 'end-session' window.
>
>Well, the lock screen doesn't actually end the session, whilst "End
>session only", "Turn off computer" and "Restart Computer" really do. So
>I think it would be pretty unappropriate there.

Just because it does not fit under the term "End Session" does not mean it
would be inappropriate. The purpose of "End Session" is to give it a term
people can understand, because there is no way to say that it is an action
you want to use when you are finished using your computer for the moment. It
fits into the idea of the button, it merely misses the exact meaning.

For a similar example, look at the "Turn Off Computer" button in MS-Windows
XP. It pops up three options: "Stand By", "Turn Off", and "Restart". The
reason those don't all fit under the title is because it is more important
that users know what the button will do.

If a user clicks "End Session", then sees "Lock Screen" in the options list,
they can ignore it. Telling them to just use hotkeys, which they must look
up in the shortcut editor, is unbelievably far from a good solution.