List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Bookmark Partway Through Page?
From:       Sébastien_Laoût <sebastien.laout () tuxfamily ! org>
Date:       2004-06-15 21:51:04

Le ven 11/06/2004 à 07:43, Jamethiel Knorth a écrit :
> Also, what would the result be on dynamic pages? I think the current refresh
> setting in Konqueror is to only return to the same point if the page is
> identical. Would leaving it like that avoid most problems.

Yes.
And I hate that !
So, you confirm it's not a bug ? :-(

OK, for a bookmark system this can be discussed.
But for a refresh it is even more excepted to return at the same
position (or nearly).

Le ven 11/06/2004 à 14:32, Florian Graessle a écrit :
> Why not incorporate the way Opera does it? There it's possible to save
> so called "sessions": the order of tabs, their contents, the position in
> them and even the history are remembered.
> [...]
> This separate approach leaves the normal bookmarks alone.

VERY good idea !
I vote +100 for your wish :-)

It's basically what's implemented in Tabbed Browsing Extension for
Mozilla.
But this extension is (in more of being the most usefull) the most
buggy.
And sessions (saved at crash, at exit, at ask...) do not work !!!!!
Whith search as you type and a working mouse gesture, it the only reason
I'm stuck to Mozilla for web browsing.

Le sam 12/06/2004 à 22:21, Peter Postmus a écrit :
> However, I don't think this would be very usefull for the filemanagement
> profile. What do you think?

I think it IS usefull in all modes.
And also MIXED modes (tabs with local folders AND web pages/folders)

Le dim 13/06/2004 à 01:30, Jeff Marder a écrit :
> In fact it
> would probably be work to disable it in filemanagement.  Just a
> thought.  Anyone else have use for this in filemanagement?

ME ME ME
ME ;oD

I do a website.
I need a preview of the site, a folder with the files, a folder to
/usr/share/icons to copy Crystal icons for the theme of the site, the
HTML doc, the CSS doc, the PHP doc...
Have them in tabs is extremly usefull.
And it's what I do. Moreover it's saved when KDE restart.
BUT sometimes I make a break and do not work on the site for several
weeks... months... Have it to the taskbar is ennoying (and it waste KDE
start time everydays !).

After, I program, so I need a folder to the program, KDE docs, QT
docs...
I does another window (and ressources).

After, sometimes (twice or a little more a year) I need a BASH script :
it's new tabs to be opened (web doc, man doc, the test folder).
It would potencially add a third use of sessions for me (because I would
open the BASH session very few per year).

I also do some searchs on the internet and open a lot of tabs.
If the tomorrow I don't want to continue I sould stay the window open
:-( Of course we can mixe/associate web searches with local folders
(download images/related docs to a folder and keep it on eyes/hands).

An idea :
Why not also store a short (unique) text in that session in addition to
the position in the page. So, if page have been changed, Konqueror try
to locate the short text and move the cursor/scrollbar to it. If not, it
recall the position of the page. It would be more accurate for news
pages with a lot of comments : the comments are often added but those
who have been there still here so we can locate them.

Le mar 15/06/2004 à 21:16, Manuel Amador a écrit :
> I actually do the same.  I simply shove the konq window into another
> desktop, and if I have to go, I clse the session.  When I return, they
> all reopen fine.  But I can see that being a problem for e.g. dialup
> users where Konq wouldn't open a window with the failed URL but only a
> dialog box saying "XXXX could not be found" which is REALLY annoying.

You're rigth !
As soon as a user type an URL, Konqueror should not delete it if there
was an error.
The error can be due to a paste error : we see it but before we give the
focus tu the address bar the error dialog is shown and the address
erased.
Mozilla too erase the address when he want (also sometimes when
switching to another tab and going back : we cannot achieve to type the
address).
It's the only thing I regret from Internet Explorer (hey : it can do
good things also :D )

Best regards,

Sébastien Laoût.