List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Bookmark Partway Through Page?
From:       Manuel Amador <rudd-o () amautacorp ! com>
Date:       2004-06-15 19:16:54

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

I actually do the same.  I simply shove the konq window into another
desktop, and if I have to go, I clse the session.  When I return, they
all reopen fine.  But I can see that being a problem for e.g. dialup
users where Konq wouldn't open a window with the failed URL but only a
dialog box saying "XXXX could not be found" which is REALLY annoying.

El vie, 11-06-2004 a las 01:23, Jeff Marder escribió:
> Hello all.  I'm new here.  I could be wrong, but I just don't see this
> being useful for the masses.  While it would be kind of neat,  I think
> occasions where a feature like this would be used are few and far
> between.  I can't think of many situations where this would be used
> other than the one you described.  When I find myself in a situation
> like this I am most likely to just leave the browser window open so I
> can easily pick up where I left off later on.  If I don't want this
> browser window in my face while I'm working on something else I can
> minimize it or move it to a different desktop.  Though others may have
> different habits, I just can't see this being used on a regular basis.
>  Someone also mentioned issues with dynamic pages.  Considering that
> the vast majority of web pages are dynamic the frequency of occasions
> where this feature might be used is even further reduced.  On top of
> it all, there is the risk of introducing another usability issue with
> accidental bookmarks in the middle of a page.  I don't know about
> everyone else, but I would find this extremely irritating.  More than
> a few 'accidents' and I'd be likely to switch to another browser if
> the feature couldn't be turned off.  Don't get me wrong- I don't think
> it's a bad idea and I don't think features should be left out if they
> would improve usability, even if only for a minority of users.  It's
> just that the implementation we're discussing would have a broad
> impact that some would find detrimental to the quality of the
> application.  I don't have a better suggestion at the moment, but
> let's keep brainstorming and see where this goes.
>
> Jeff
>
> On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 01:43:35 -0400, Jamethiel Knorth
> <jamethknorth@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > >From: Manuel Amador <rudd-o@amautacorp.com>
> > >Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 15:25:14 -0500
> > >
> > >This is a good idea.  I actually wouldn't mind 'accidental'
> > >bookmarks-in-the-middle-of-the-page.
> >
> > My real question is, just how much of a problem would 'accidental'
> > bookmarks-in-the-middle-of-the-page be?
> >
> > Is it the majority case or the minority case that people wish to return to
> > the exact same point in a document?
> >
> > Also, what would the result be on dynamic pages? I think the current refresh
> > setting in Konqueror is to only return to the same point if the page is
> > identical. Would leaving it like that avoid most problems.
> >
> > >El mià ©, 09-06-2004 a las 18:57, Jamethiel Knorth escribià ³:

> > >I'd

> > >around a

> > >problems
> > >end up
> > >with,

> > >usage

> > >typing

	Manuel Amador
	Jefe de I+D                         +593 (9) 847-7372
	Amauta                     http://www.amautacorp.com/
	GNU Privacy Guard key ID: 0xC1033CAD at keyserver.net