List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Konqueror: Save Link As
From:       Sébastien_Laoût <sebastien.laout () tuxfamily ! org>
Date:       2004-06-12 16:17:50

Le ven 11/06/2004 à 14:34, Dik Takken a écrit :
> However, 'Save Target As' assumes that the user sees the link as a link
> and not as a file. If the user sees it as a file that you can save, he
> might not understand what is meant by 'target'. We can avoid this by
> calling the menu entry 'Save As'.

Hum...
We use the "Link" metaphor everywhere in KDE :
- For WEB Links (normal)
- For FILES Links (as a UNIX oriented DE) :
  Windows call them shortuts, but, it's the same as Link, and users
  are used to the "Link" word by the web.

So, I see no problem for "The link target is a file".

In more of that, we have KIO that virtualize all protocols and also can
open files / FTPs locations as they were local files.
Try to go to a FTP server and open a PDF file : you will see no
difference than if you go to your home directory and open a PDF
(thumbnails are even shown when listing a FTP adress : very eye candy
(and, in another subject, can show the power of KDE to a linux
newcomer)).

Le ven 11/06/2004 à 22:55, Art Carney a écrit :
> The word "link" needs to be in every menu entry which operates on links. That
> way, the functionality is shown to be related.
>
> * Bookmark Link
> * Download Link Target
>
> You don't need the "to Clipboard" since everyone already knows what copy
> means.

Seem a lot better !
I like it.
And "Copy Link Address" is abvious that it will copy the adress to the
clipboard, and not copy the targeted file to a directory.