List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Easier Searching in KDE
From:       Manuel Amador <rudd-o () amautacorp ! com>
Date:       2004-06-03 19:05:11

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

If there is ANY need for plug ins at all, it would NOT be in the search
interface, but rather as feeders for a robust metadata/indexing system,
and ONE, only ONE search interface which would contact the
metadata/indexing system and present results in unified form.  Be it a
list, icons, a detailed list or panes for each result, all of them bode
much better than tabs.

See Kazaa and the like.  Why can't we build a search tool like kazaa?
Or... perhaps we can.

Which again brings us back to the need for a robust metadata/indexing
system.  Any other search improvement attempt is just a pipe dream with
less-than-ideal results.

El mar, 01-06-2004 a las 20:26, Jamethiel Knorth escribió:
> >From: Dik Takken <D.H.J.Takken@phys.uu.nl>
> >Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2004 00:23:31 +0200 (CEST)

> >>I don't like tabs that much, but it seems fine and consistent with we
> >>already
> >>have in kde.
> >
> >I don't like Tabs either. I want to quickly see how many hits a have for
> >earch plugin. Just scrolling a page is much more convenient than clicking
> >on all tabs.
> >
> >The only argument agaist 'cramming' all results into one page seems the be
> >that it will become an inconsistent mess. I don't see why it would
> >become a mess, but if people choose to mess it up anyway, tabs won't help.
> >The output of each plugin is still the same, the only difference is that
> >you can only see the results of one of them.
> >
> >You see, if each plugin just takes care of it's own output-section to look
> >nice and clean, I see no problem in displaying multiple sections on a
> >single page. If anyone can think of better arguments, please tell us.
>
> I'm going to repeat myself.
>
> I think it's a really bad idea to try to forceably mix plugins. If some
> plugins have sources that need to be mixed, a plugin can be made to mix
> them. There is no reason that a plugin needs to only have one source it
> searches. Too many plugins have completely unmixable results for the mixing
> to be done automatically. It just doesn't work, regardless of whether it is
> in tabs or in a single view.

	Manuel Amador
	Jefe de I+D                         +593 (9) 847-7372
	Amauta                     http://www.amautacorp.com/
	GNU Privacy Guard key ID: 0xC1033CAD at keyserver.net