List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: New File Selection Dialogs
From:       William Leese <william () leese ! nl>
Date:       2004-05-31 18:39:04

Jamethiel Knorth wrote:

>> From: William Leese <william@leese.nl>
>> Date: Mon, 31 May 2004 10:44:27 +0200
>>
>> Jamethiel Knorth wrote:
>>
>>> The main changes would be:
>>>
>>> * New quick-access panel
>>
>> .. which leaves no room for the users own shortcuts. The shortcut bar
>> can't hold many entries, so it's not a good idea to just randomly
>> place anything that might seem useful there.
>

> Wait, what? The entire current listing is included and fits. What is
> there no space for?

Again: the users own shortcuts. RMB the shortcut bar -> Add Entry...

>>>   - Search bar
>>
>> This could be a button instead perhaps? OTOH having it inline makes
>> it more accessible. But wouldn't it ideally be located next to the
>> addressbar, or directly above/below the filesystem view?
>
> It takes up a lot of space in either of those spaces. If it is placed
> beside the location bar (my original choice) it takes up too much
> space when programs add their own extensions there. Several do. Kate's
> encoding selector, for example, makes that way too crowded.

Hmm. How about the Filter widget then. Filtering and searching are the
same thing.

>>>   - Dynamic list of recent locations
>>

>> What about the length of a path? What are the chances that these are
>> too long for the dialog? "/home/wvl/downloads" already gets cuts off,
>> this is only one deep after my home folder..
>

> Shows the last entry in the path, more in a tooltip. Usually, that is
> enough. The purpose is for when you have been using a directory a lot
> recently, in which case you will probably know why it is there.

Not exactly expected behavior (showing last entry in path). I'm not sure
I know of any application that has something like this.

I don't like the idea. Would having 'most recent locations' under the
address bar's drowndown make far more sense?

>>>   - New bookmark system
>>
>> Bookmarks, Shortcuts..
>>
>> Why aren't these two being merged instead? Bookmarks will then
>> contain a few defaults (the shortcuts in the Shortcut bar). Needs
>> some thought aswell..
>
> They are. In this system, bookmarks are for a specific program, the
> shortcuts are universal. There's no great reason, but that is a useful
> division. That is also why the bookmarks appear at the bottom, as they
> might get very long.

Not true: shortcuts can be created per app or globally. Try creating a
new shortcut.

Why not simply merge shortcuts and bookmarks, making shortcuts a
subfolder of bookmarks which is then displayed as the shortcut bar. A
subfolder would also contain the links to the selected devices. You'd
also have a 'recent locations' subfolder, which could also be displayed
on the shortcut bar.

You'd end up with a configurable shortcut bar that can optionally
display: removeable drives, bookmarks located in a certain folder,
recent locations and common locations.

>>> * Better configuration system
>>> * Better preview field
>>>   - Show large icons, rather than blanks for many files
>>>   - Show metadata information
>>
>> Might want to put a seperator between the icon and metadata.
>
> Looking at that in a mock-up, it seems kinda extraneous. The icon is
> always separated (visually) by the fact that it is an image and the
> metadata is text. Also, what advantage is there to having them
> separated? They both serve the same purpose: they deliver additional
> information about the selected file.

Spacing.

  -- William