List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Konqueror FM icons display
From:       Peter Postmus <p.postmus () st ! hanze ! nl>
Date:       2004-05-29 16:45:54

Davide Ferrari wrote:

>Hello everyone
>
>I'm posting on both lists cause I'm sure I could reach the person I need :)
>Sometime ago, on kde-usability list, there was a mail from someone (I can't
>remember the name and I'm not able to find the mail again :( ) concearning a
>better item alignment in Konqui while in icon view mode. This involved fixed
>preview size and cutting down displayed filename lenght to 2 (or whatever
>configured) rows.
>And this is *great*.
>
>But there's a little thing on which I disagree, and I remember we already
>talked about on kde-usability: when a file with a long and cutted filename is
>selected, the entire filename should be shown. Now the only way to get it's
>looking down to the status bar, and this is not intuitive or comfortable at
>all in my opinion.

Yes, I remember that discussion. The only thing we didn't totally agree
on was how to display the untruncated filename. IIRC, these options were
suggested:
- Create an immediate tooltip containing the full filename at mouseover,
possibly overlapping an icon below. After a few seconds, extend the
tooltip to include more information.
Pro: consistent (only uses tooltips)
Con: The position of the full filename would probably change if the
full-flegded tooltip replaces the smaller one, thus forcing the user to
re-read the filename.

- Immediately change the truncated filename into a full filename and
create a box around that name at mouseover. If the box overlaps an icon
below, the part of the icon in that box isn't displayed. After a few
seconds, show the normal tooltip (not overlapping the box).
Pro: Users don't have to re-read the filename.
Con: Two boxes appear (one containing the filename and the one from the
tooltip), which might clutter the appearance.

Jamethiel suggested #1, I suggested #2.

Now that I think about my idea, two possible improvements could be made:
- What about not creating an entire box, but just the line under the
filename? It wouldn't look as cluttered, but it would be clear to the
user why the underlying icon isn't fully displayed.
- Instead of not displaying the part of the icon that is overlapped by
the box/filename, maybe we could make it blend into the background
color? The icon would still be visible, but it wouldn't deny the user
from reading the filename.

--
Met vriendelijke groeten,
With kind regards,