List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Easier Searching in KDE
From:       Dik Takken <D.H.J.Takken () phys ! uu ! nl>
Date:       2004-05-26 12:26:03

On Tue, 25 May 2004, Jamethiel Knorth wrote:

>> I think you slightly misunderstood the idea. The idea is that the list of
>> results completely disappears when you click on one of them. The results
>> are replaced with the normal directory view, showing the directory that
>> contains the search result. When the user clicks 'back', the search
>> results are shown again.
>>
>> If you agree on this, maybe you could create some mockups for the website
>> to show the idea?
>
> So you can only select one result from the results list, even though
> multiple-selection is supported?

Uhm.. I didn't think about that, thanks for mentioning it. My idea isn't
an option. Still, we need to be able to give the user an idea where each
results is located. Maybe we can find a solution by looking at a
specific problem:

Say I want to save a file by overwriting an older version. I made
quite a mess and have many versions of the same file, all files have the
same name, but they are located in different directories. When the 'save
as' dialog pops up, I want a quick list of all files with the same name
as my current document. I enter the name into the search textbox and
press ENTER. A list of identical filenames appears. But which file is the
correct version? Let's look at the path of each file.

How can we do that?

* Show the relative path in a popup tip.
* Switch to another viewmode that shows the full path

Any more ideas?

Dik