List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Easier Searching in KDE
From:       Dik Takken <D.H.J.Takken () phys ! uu ! nl>
Date:       2004-05-25 14:31:18

On Mon, 24 May 2004, Jamethiel Knorth wrote:

>>> I was thinking the results would appear in the same file area as any
>>> other kioslave's results would.
>>
>> That's good, I think. One more idea about what should happen when the user
>> clicks one of the results: It should show a normal file listing, showing
>> the directory where the file was found. The file itself should be selected
>> and it's name entered into the 'filaname' input. It should look just as if
>> the user had located the file manually.
>>
>> How about that?
>
> It should definitely appear just as if the user had found the file
> themselves. However, where would the containing directory be displayed? For
> single files, it might be able to go in the location bar, but then that would
> break the idea that the location bar represents the location being displayed.
> Also, it breaks when you select multiple files.

I think you slightly misunderstood the idea. The idea is that the list of
results completely disappears when you click on one of them. The results
are replaced with the normal directory view, showing the directory that
contains the search result. When the user clicks 'back', the search
results are shown again.

If you agree on this, maybe you could create some mockups for the website
to show the idea?

> Do you have any ideas where to display the directory a result is contained
> in? I've had trouble thinking of anywhere for it to go, so far.

This is about the problem of displaying the search results I guess? Well,
I think you should display a listing of just the mimetype icon
followed by the filename (not the path). For users who want to know more
about the whereabouts of the file, we could make a tooltip popup. Even
more details could be given via a RMB menu, possibly combined with common
actions like 'open', 'copy to' and so on.

> There is a possibility of listing results in a details-style manner:
>
> Results      | Location
> -------------|--------------------------------------
> foo          | /home/jame/results
> foobar       | /home/jame/results
> foobar.baz   | /home/jame/stuff
> foo.bar      | /home/jame/results/temp/stuff/useless
>
> It causes a sudden change in display method, so I have doubts. Also, it
> prevents a full details view from being used.

I don't think the KFileDialog provides sufficient space to display both
the filename and the path. Also, I think there should be a special
viewmode for search results, because existing view modes are all targeted
at browsing in a tree, while the search results are just a flat list.

Dik