List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Defaults: Different backgrounds per virtual desktop?
From:       "Jamethiel Knorth" <jamethknorth () hotmail ! com>
Date:       2004-05-21 4:23:56

>From: Art Carney <greencarrots@nospammail.net>
>Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 00:14:21 -0400
>
>On May 10, 2004 1:21 pm, Jamethiel Knorth wrote:
> > >From: Christoph Niemann <cnieman@suse.de>
> > >Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 11:41:30 +0200

>wallpaper
> > >
> > >We could also use the "Hue shift" function for the different desktops
>and
> > >set it to a different value for each of them. That way, the user would
>be
> > >free to choose whatever wallpaper he likes and still get the effect of
> > > four different backgrounds.
> >
> > Except, that would look downright hideous with some backgrounds. Yes, it
> > would work for any non-objective background (as with those examples) but
> > anyone who puts a picture of a person on their desktop is going to be
> > sorely angered when their favorite model suddenly turns purple.
> >

>This is also a bad idea from a performance standpoint. Try running KDE on
>anything less than a P4 and you'll see why only one wallpaper for all
>desktops is the default. Multiple papers is a waste of resources.

That is a valid issue. Will all the extra desktop backgrounds just sit in
memory and waste resources? I know this is an issue on occasion, because I
keep all my desktops with one background because switching caused minor
slowdown (my system is anemic).

However, I always use all the desktops, and the only problem happened while
switching desktops. Does it cause a problem while the other desktops are
idle?

>The other thing is that very very few distros stick to the background
>settings
>that KDE specifies. There's no sense in making something the default which
>most users will never see at all.

Just because only a few users will see it doesn't mean it isn't worthwhile.
Also, many distros will recognize the importance of this change, or at least
some might, and they will also add something of the sort.