List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Defaults: Different backgrounds per virtual desktop?
From:       "Jamethiel Knorth" <jamethknorth () hotmail ! com>
Date:       2004-05-21 4:19:57

>From: Matt Rogers <matt@matt.rogers.name>
>Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 22:33:10 -0500
>
>I don't understand you usability people sometimes.  IMVHO, a lot of things
>with regard to usability can be solved by making things more consistent
>(icons on buttons, etc.), but instead, you're proposing that we use four
>different backgrounds for the four default virtual desktops.  How is this
>more consistent?

It's not consistency for the sake of consistency. The goal is to ensure that
the user always knows what is going on. When things are consistent, it is
easier to understand them.

However, when a person first switches desktop, there is no good indication
of what has occurred. A rule which supersedes even consistency is that
feedback should be provided so that a user can reliably determine what is
happening on their computer. The purpose is to help users recognize the
effects of desktop switching.

>I would rather suggest that the virtual desktop feature be disabled by
>default
>all together.

Removing an option is not necessarily good usability. Usability is as much
about being easy to use as easy to learn. Less options are easier to learn,
but less powerful. It's a tradeoff. If a good indicator of the effects of
desktop switching is available, the ease with which the use of that item can
be learned has been greatly improved and it is no longer a major issue to
have it on by default.