List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: kdemultimedia (setCheckedState)
From:       Peter Postmus <p.postmus () st ! hanze ! nl>
Date:       2004-05-19 23:30:34

On Wednesday 19 May 2004 21:12, Jamethiel Knorth wrote:
> >From: Harri Porten <porten@froglogic.com>
> >Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 14:01:12 +0200 (CEST)

> >Why

> > > Do you really think "Toolbar Foobar Visible" makes a good menu item
> >
> >name?
> >
> >I'd just leave out verbs/adjectives, call it "Foobar Toolbar" and let
> >the check mark denote whether it is visible or not. Easy and quick to
> >understand. I see Mozilla does it this way, too.
>
> How is that easier to understand? That means absolutely nothing unless you
> already know what it means!
>
> "Okay, there is 'Main Toolbar', and it is checked. What is a checked
> toolbar? Does that mean it exists?"
>
> If the entry states what it is going to do, that is straightforward.
>
> "The entry says, 'Hide Main Toolbar'. Gee, I bet it hides the main
> toolbar."

IMO there is one problem with this solution: you can't quickly see which
toolbars are (not) shown. Instead, you'd have to the first word of every item
in the toolbars submenu. I think a checkbox is easier in this situation.

That said, I think the current implementation of the in-menu checkbox needs
improvement. Right now, if an option is deactivated, there's no way to tell
it apart from any other menu entry (which might open a configuration dialog).
When an option is selected, an X is displayed inside a frame. I think the
best solution would be to display an empty square (not a frame!) for
unselected menu options, and a square with an X in case the option is
selected. But that's probably another usability discussion alltogether...

I also think the removal of verbs would make for a less cluttered appearance,
although I can live with them ;).

> Toggling the text maintains that a menu entry always says what it will do.
> This is good for consistency throughout the system.

So you're saying we should abandon checkboxes alltogether? (e.g., also in
KConfig?)

--
Met vriendelijke groeten,
With kind regards,