List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: KDefault font
From:       Luciano Montanaro <mikelima () virgilio ! it>
Date:       2004-05-12 8:27:35

On Wednesday 12 May 2004 03:43, Art Carney wrote:
> My favorite font for UI is News Gothic by Bitstream. Incredible legibility
> without the smeariness that Vera Sans, Verdana, and Arial often have. The
> glyphs are crisp and slightly taller most sans-serif fonts for a look that is
> attractive and readable for long periods of time.
>
> Unfortunately, the News Gothic fonts aren't free.
>
> On Tuesday 11 May 2004 12:21 pm, Mikolaj Machowski wrote:
> > >
> > > My 2cents..I found Cursor a really nice and readable font, ways better
> > > than Helvetica.
> >
> > Helvetica is one of the worst... I was looking for some time and settled
> > with Verdana. Font itself is rather ugly but has very good readability
> > - ideal for interface.
> >
> > m.

I'm not too fond of helvetica myself. I have used Lucida-based configurations
for a long time now, and I'm still using it on my slow laptop.
however, if this discussion has to produce anything useful, there is no point in
suggesting non-free fonts. In fact, probably the only viable fonts are those
supplied with X.

Luciano