List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Drag and Drop Up-One-Level
From:       "Jamethiel Knorth" <jamethknorth () hotmail ! com>
Date:       2004-05-11 5:07:55

>From: Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri <gustavo@gsbarbieri.sytes.net>
>Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 20:14:14 -0300
>
>Em Saturday 08 May 2004 14:44, Jamethiel Knorth escreveu:
> >
> > You're right there should be some indication, but I don't think it needs
> > that much prominence. I would prefer to have it in the tooltip, the
> > properties page, and the status bar. The fact is, usually it doesn't
> > matter.
>
>Yes. Just put in the tooltip: "This file has <X> other names (hard links)"
>or
>something like that. I'm not a natural english speaker, so I'm not that
>good
>with short & descriptive names.

Possibly:

"In <X> other locations on disk"

I don't like "names" because name is a very common and vague term. Also, it
is better to make some effort to keep it brief.

> > A possibility to help avoid this would be to have a warning dialog when
>you
> > delete only one of a set of linked files. Of course, leave in an option
> > never show it again. It could possibly even have the option to remove
>those
> > files as well.
>
>Good idea. Just need a good message:
>
>"This is just a name for the file. This file have <X> names more, it will
>be
>deleted just when there's no more names left."
>

>Again, a better message please :D

Possibly

Deleting the file from this location will not fully removed it from the disk
and will not reduce disk space usage. This file still exists in <X> other
locations:

| /home/luser/Location 1                ^ |
| /home/luser/stuff/Location 2          | |
| /home/luser/Location 3                v |

[ Delete Selected Files ] [ Ok ] [ Cancel ]

The phrasing on the delete button is really too long, and it isn't quite
right even then, but it seems to have the right stuff otherwise. To be fully
accurate, that button would need to say something like "Delete File from
Selected Locations".

Of course, we could just have it be "Delete All Locations", "Delete Only
This Location", and "Cancel". (Which is even longer. Damn.)

> > Would it be possible to sort of drop a help button just anywhere? Like,
> > have the menu have a question mark right-aligned after the Hardlink
>option,
> > where clicking on the question-mark shows What's This? help without
>closing
> > the menu?
>
>Maybe a "First time" option? The first time the user use that it's present
>with a message. But since it's not dangerous (will not cause data lost), it
>can be avoided, eliminating clutter.

I'm not a big fan of "First time" help for an option like this. The problem
is, the user needs to know what it will do before they click on it, not
after. However, since it is in a random little menu, it isn't really
targetable by What's This? help. That is why I would kinda like the visible
help button. Of course, that same button would piss me off to no end because
it is totally wasted on me, so I really haven't got any good ideas for this.